Jun 29, 2010

16 hours past Monday.. and counting.

I have spent the majority of my day today playing Scrabble on my Itouch and reading interspersed with looking up Freeganism on Youtube. 

Freeganism? You might be wondering what that is and so I will tell you. Freeganism is the act of living off of other peoples toss outs. Freeganism is usually most popular among people who are trying to erase the carbon foot print we are leaving on our earth due to our wasteful nature. (also, though slightly less popular among people who enjoy the shock factor or just don't like spending money on something like food)  Many freegans are vegan or vegetarian. Makes sense to me because I'm not sure what kind of person would really feel alright about eating day old meats out of a rubbish bin. I don't know if I'd ever be willing to try it, though after seeing a group of people pulling a box full of brand new Extra Virgin Olive Oil out of the dumpster I do see the advantages. Many times things such as eggs and crates of liquids get tossed simply because one of the bottles or eggs brake and nobody wants to take the time to wash them off so the whole lot gets trashed. 
Dumpster diving is, however, frowned upon by most businesses. So I don't suggest trying it unless you are homeless of just really wanting a thrill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment